Businesses and companies that work with solar panels may question, “Where do I take my scrap PV solar panel modules to be recycled safely?” Interco works with the resources and equipment to effectively recycle solar panels.
Furthermore, Interco is a global recycling company providing metals, computers, and electronics recycling services to industrial, dealer, and government organizations. The company specializes in the placement of smelter-ready materials throughout the world utilizing established partnerships with end consumers in the United States, Europe, and Asia.
Also, the company has been a member of the Institute of Scrap Recycling Industries, Inc. (ISRI) since 1996.
ISRI is the voice of the recycling industry advocating safe, economically sustainable, and environmentally responsible recycling through networking, advocacy, and education.
Moreover, Interco processes more than 1,000 tons of scrap solar panel modules each month. Solar panel recycling is important for the environment. Through reuse and recycling, solar panel recycling can reduce what goes to the landfill, reduce waste, and save on energy used to produce materials.
How to Scrap PV Solar Panels Modules for Recycling
Solar panels convert the sun’s rays into electricity by transferring electrons in silicon cells using the photons of light from the sun. They are used as a sustainable source of energy and can deliver electricity to homes and businesses. Furthermore, recycling solar panels helps recover over 80 precent of a crystalline silicon unit from each solar panel, but we also recycle:
- Electric junction boxes
- Glass and plastics
- Aluminum frames and brackets
Additionally, there are two methods to recycling solar panels:
Silicon Based Solar Panel Recycling
- Recycling silicon-based solar panels begins with the dismantling of the panels. This process separates its aluminum and glass. Both materials are individually recyclable.
- Then, they subject the rest of the modules to a temperature of 500◦ Celsius. This takes place in a thermal processing unit to ease the bonds between the cell elements.
- Once the heat is applied, the plastic evaporates. This leaves the silicon cells for processing.
- After the heat treatment, the melting process separates the hardware. The separate the hardware, which is 80 percent reusable, from the silicon particles.
- As a result, material is ready for use in the new silicon modules.
Thin-Film Based Solar Panel Recycling
- Recycling solar panels of this type speeds up the process. It completes the process faster and more drastically.
- Machines shred the thin-film based panels from the mill the material. This ensures all particles are approximately 4-5 mm in size.
- Unlike silicon-based panels, a rotating screw separates the remaining solid and liquid materials. Solar Panel — Recycling Solar Panels
- Consequently, the process purifies liquids through precipitation. It also separates them from the semiconductor materials through a metal processor.
- Recyclers remove the contaminated solid materials containing inter-layer materials. Furthermore, a vibrating surface separates these materials.
- Approximately 90% of these materials are reintroduced. Most can be used in the re-manufacturing processes.
So, where do I take my scrap PV solar panel modules to be recycled safely? With a convenient, central location just across the Mississippi River from St. Louis, Missouri in Madison, Illinois, Interco is within close proximity to four major interstates (I-44, I-55, I-64, and I-70) that intersect all of the Midwest and Central USA possibilities.
Furthermore, Interco offers creative solutions, competitive pricing, and quality service throughout the supply chain. The company has been an industry leader providing metals, computers, and electronics recycling services with a focused track record of innovation and integrity in since 1996.
Interco, as an OHSAS 18001 Occupational Health & Safety Assessment Series Management System certified company, recognizes and manages potential health and safety risks throughout the company and the diverging supply chain. Moreover, the OHSAS 18001 standard is internationally accepted as the highest standard of health and safety management in existence.
Overall, solar panels convert energy using the sun’s rays. When these solar panels reach end-of-life status, they need to be recycled. So, the answer to the question, “Where do I take my scrap PV solar panel modules to be recycled safely?” is Interco. Interco leads the way in how to recycle PV solar panel modules. Through their process, it is easy and simple. Interco’s facility is comprised of five buildings — roughly 400,000 square feet total — on more than 35 acres. The facility has over 20 inbound and outbound docks for receiving and shipping nonferrous scrap material as well as a railroad rail spur to load rail cars.
The Interco team is able to ship and receive more than 25 loads per 8-hour shift, averaging just over 19 minutes per load. With a staff of 100 full time employees, Interco receives, processes, upgrades, repackages and ships approximately 15,000 tons of material monthly. We lead the way in terms of innovative industrial recycling solutions and will work with you to satisfy any of your scrap nonferrous metals and eScrap recycling needs. To learn more about Interco, click here